Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Time for Unity; A Time for Change.

What happened to us, seriously?  Where did our spirits go?  Are we that broken as a people that we have lost sight of who we are and what we stand for, not just unified, but as our own person?

Think back to 911.  Do you remember where you were, what you were doing and the one thing our generation hadn't seen yet that happened on that day, for everybody in this country?

We were united.  We stood proud in the face of evil, and as the United States, we stood together and showed the world no matter what you do to us, no matter how hard you kick us and throw us down, we will always get back up, always.

So what happened?  I remember that day very well.  I remember something spectacular that happened in the face of chaos and tragedy; strangers coming together in a way I had never seen.  People were in the streets, on the train, talking, sharing, crying, praying and above all else, loving.

Think about that day.  Do you remember any point in your lifetime where total strangers came together to support one another the way we did that day and during those times?  I don't.  I saw people of all nationalities, all backgrounds, all classes, stand together and share their lives with each other in a way I've never seen to this day, and in the days, weeks and months that followed, this country stood together as if the world could never break us.

And so I ask, what happened to us?  Look at us now, walking down the street, only concerned about ourselves, turning away when we see a homeless mother in need, a person in distress needing help or someone just wanting a bite to eat.  I see it every day, walking through the city.  Not one person can argue with me that it doesn't exist, and that it doesn't ten times over what it did during our time of unity.  We're so divided that whereas once we would look in the very eyes of evil and stand up for one another, we now run from it.  We are only so concerned about our own daily lives that we seem to have forgotten about helping those less fortunate, and also forgot the most important thing, we are Americans.

I've noticed over the past few years that this is happening, whether people want to believe it or not.  Greed and corruption has doused the hopes of the innocent that the American Dream is still alive and out there for anybody with the heart and passion to go for it.  Instead of looking and hoping for their bright future, they only hope they have a job the next day.

I still believe in our spirit.  It's unfortunate that only in tragedy we have found unity.  World War I, World War II, 911, etc.  I ask myself what it's going to take to unify us again.  I really don't know, but I'm tired of sitting back and watching good, hard-working peoples' spirits being crushed day after day and not being able to do anything about it.  I'm tired of not having a voice.  I'm tired of being told, nobody cares.

You know what? That's complete BS.  There are still many good-hearted, caring, hard-working people out there who believe in something and believe it so much that even in these hard times, they still get up every morning, hoping that there will be a better tomorrow.  I know I do, because I know that nobody can bring us down.

If you read all this and think to yourself, "Oh boy, here's another person trying to change the world" well you're damn right, and if you don't believe in it, then just stop now.  I don't need attention, I'm not looking for money or fame and I'm definitely not trying to make people think like me, but ya know, some people out there actually care enough to not just sit back and riddle the world with criticism, not doing anything about it, and instead at least trying to do something.

I'll leave it at that for now.  Who knows, this may be my one and only post I ever create, this guy out of nowhere that writes from the heart because he actually believes in something so great that he can't contain it anymore, who's tired of seeing people hurt, sad and down on themselves, who's tired of all of the so-called "smart" ones out there who are supposedly looking out for us and yet do hardly anything to lift our spirits.  If you want to think it's corny, cliche or anything else, fine.  You know what? That's what makes Freedom so great, the fact that you CAN believe that and have the right to express it.  There are some places in this world you can't.  Be grateful, no matter what you believe or don't believe, you have the right to do so.

But for those of you who still believe in something, do something about it.  One day, there will be no lines between race, religion, political beliefs and gender.  There will only be people and their ability to come together, again and unite as one, again.

Self-importance, greed and power is not the answer.  Unity is.  If you're too important, too "good" to help people out when you see they need someone, then I say, whatever, be happy with your self-important life, but there are still those of us who will never let anybody bring us down, and we are the ones that will always rise above and beyond to help one another in times of need.

That's called Unity.  Maybe we'll all find that some day again.

1 comment:

  1. Love your spirit, Mike! I'm so glad you're blogging again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete